Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Speaking at QUB EEBEE

I was invited to give a talk to the School of Biological Sciences (http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofBiologicalSciences/) at Queen's this week. My seminar was part of the Ecology, Evolution, Behaviour and Environmental Economics Seminar Series (http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofBiologicalSciences/OurResearch/EcologyEvolutionBehaviourandEnvironmentalEconomics/), which is attended by mainly students and some faculty. During the past 6 months, I have gone to a few of the other seminars in this series (e.g., Drs. Catherine McGavigan and Dmitry Kishkiniev speaking about aquatic plants and migrating birds, respectively) and it seems like a dynamic group.


My talk, titled "Landscape Limnology: Understanding multi-scaled cause-effect relationships between terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems" was in the Medical Biology Center, about a block from the building my office is in. My talk was a bit sparsely attended, but well-received. I had some interesting questions after the talk and look forward to continued interactions with EEBEE at QUB.

It is interesting to experience the differences in culture across Universities and Schools. For example, there is no preceding or following social for this seminar series. Instead, the group gathers every Thursday morning for coffee and cake. I plan to attend one of the coffee hours soon to engage further with people from this cluster.

Special thanks to Dr. Christine Maggs, Head of School, for hosting me

No comments:

Post a Comment